Organic Law of the Federal Public Administration.
Title two, Chapter II, Art. 29, states that: The National Defense Secretariat is in charge of dispatching the following issues:
Organic Law of the Mexican Army and Air Force
- Organize, manage and prepare the Army and Air Force;
- Organize and prepare the National Military Service;
- Organize the reserves of the Army and Air Force and provide them with the corresponding technical-military training;
- Manage the active duty of the Army and Air Force, National Guard at the service of the Federation and armed contingents other than the national guard of the states;
- Authorize leaves and retirements, and intervene in pensions of the Army and Air Force;
- Plan, lead and manage the mobilization of the country in case of war; prepare and execute, when applicable, plans and orders necessary for the defense of the country, and lead and advise the civil defense;
- Construct and prepare fortifications, fortresses and all kinds of military facilities for the use of the Army and Air Force, as well as manage and maintain barracks and hospitals, as well as other military establishments;
- Militarily advise in the construction of all kinds of land and air communication routes.
- Manage the Army and Air Force warehouses.
- Manage military justice. Intervene in pardon granting regarding military crimes.
- Organize and provide health services.
- Guide professional education of the Army and Air Force Members, and coordinate, as required, military training for civil population.
- Acquire and manufacture weapons, ammunition, clothing and all kinds of materials and elements for the Army and Air Force.
- Inspect the services of the Army and Air Force.
- Take part in the issuance of licenses for firearms carrying, in order not to include the prohibited arms by law and those weapons the Nation reserves for exclusive use of the Army, Navy and National Guard, except what is established in section XVIII Art. 30 bis; as well as monitor and issue permits for commerce, transport and storage of firearms, ammunition, explosives, aggressive chemicals, and strategic material;
- Take part in import and export of all kinds of firearms, ammunition, explosives, aggressive chemicals, and strategic material;
- Take part in the granting of permits for scientific foreign or international expeditions or explorations in the national territory.
- Provide the auxiliary services required by the Army and Air Force, as well as the civilian services required, as instructed by the Executive; and
- Provide other services set forth in the Laws and Regulations.
Art. 1. The Mexican Army and Air Force are permanent armed institutions which have the following general missions: Defend integrity, independence and sovereignty of the nation;
- Guarantee interior security;
- Relief civil population in case of public needs;
- Perform civic actions and public works aimed at the progress of the country; and
- In case of disaster, help keep the order and relief people and protect their belongings, as well as reconstruct the affected zones.
Art. 2. The above mentioned missions are to be accomplished by the Army and Air Force alone or in a joint way with the Navy and other Agencies of the Federal, State of Local Government, all this is done in accordance with the instructions or approval of the President of the Republic, in the exercise of his constitutional powers. Art. 17. The Secretary of Defense, in adherence to the President’s instructions, is responsible for organizing, equipping, educating, training, managing and developing the land and air Armed Forces. Art. 53. The Mexican Army and Air Force perform their National Defense actions in a joint way and remain united as one Agency. It is composed of: combat units, combat support units, special units, rural defense units and military schools. Internal Regulation of the National Defense Secretariat
Art. 3. The Secretariat, as an Agency of the Federal Public Administration, is in charge of dispatching those issues conferred by the Organic Law of the Federal Public Administration and other laws, regulations, decrees, agreements and orders of the President of the Republic.
Art. 4. The Secretariat and its administrative bodies will plan, perform, coordinate and supervise the performance of their activities, based on the objectives, strategies and priorities of the National Development Plan, on its Operation and Development Program, on the present regulation and on the provisions issued by the Secretary of Defense.
The administrative bodies that integrate the Secretariat should prepare and permanently keep updated their respective organization and functioning manuals. To do this, they will propose the modifications that are considered necessary.
Art. 10. The Secretary of Defense is granted the following non-delegable powers: X. Approve and issue the General Organization Manual of this Secretariat, as well as the organization norms and internal procedures necessary to have the Agency work, as long as those aspects are not competence of the President of the Republic. Also, the SecDef submit them for publication in the Official Gazette of the Federation.